Many patients often have the misconception that conditions such as hammertoes can only be treated and cured through surgery. But such minor conditions can effectively be managed with treatments such as ultrasound-guided injections, which send anti-inflammatory medication directly to the source of pain, and shock wave therapy, which promotes soft-tissue healing. Physical therapy and insoles that ease pressure on the foot are other nonsurgical treatments that have proven successful.
Hammertoes can be a painful condition to live with. If you are suffering from hammertoes, contact one of our podiatrists of Ankle and Foot Center of Tampa Bay. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
Hammertoe is a foot deformity that affects the joints of the second, third, fourth, or fifth toes of your feet. It is a painful foot condition in which these toes curl and arch up, which can often lead to pain when wearing footwear.
- Pain in the affected toes
- Development of corns or calluses due to friction
- Contracture of the toes
- Genetics – people who are genetically predisposed to hammertoe are often more susceptible
- Arthritis – because arthritis affects the joints in your toes, further deformities stemming from arthritis can occur
- Trauma – direct trauma to the toes could potentially lead to hammertoe
- Ill-fitting shoes – undue pressure on the front of the toes from ill-fitting shoes can potentially lead to the development of hammertoe
- Orthotics – custom made inserts can be used to help relieve pressure placed on the toes and therefore relieve some of the pain associated with it
- Medications – oral medications such as anti-inflammatories or NSAIDs could be used to treat the pain and inflammation hammertoes causes. Injections of corticosteroids are also sometimes used
- Surgery – in more severe cases where the hammertoes have become more rigid, foot surgery is a potential option
If you have any questions please contact our offices located in the Tampa Bay area. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.