Although flip flops are a great method of footwear during warmer months because they appear to be comfortable and convenient, users have to clench their foot muscles to keep them on. This makes the feet susceptible to foot injuries over time. The following foot stretches were created to help reduce the tension flip-flops may cause on the feet.
- Stand up straight with one leg reaching behind you while tucking the toes under the foot and place on the floor. Hold stretch for one minute. Can also be done while sitting down.
- Place the ball of the foot against a rolled up towel or wall, straighten knee, and let the heel touch the ground. Hold for one minute three times on each foot.
- Sit down and cross legs, interlace fingers and toes on one foot and spread toes. Hold for one minute and switch to the other foot.
Stretching the feet is a great way to prevent injuries. If you have any concerns with your feet contact one of our podiatrists of Ankle and Foot Center of Tampa Bay. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
Stretching Your Feet
Being the backbone of the body, the feet carry your entire weight and can easily become overexerted, causing cramps and pain. As with any body part, stretching your feet can serve many benefits. From increasing flexibility to even providing some pain relief, be sure to give your feet a stretch from time to time. This is especially important for athletes or anyone performing aerobic exercises, but anyone experiencing foot pain or is on their feet constantly should also engage in this practice.
Good ways to stretch your feet are:
- Crossing one leg over the others and carefully pull your toes back. Do 10-20 repetitions and repeat the process for each foot
- Face a wall with your arms out and hands flat against the wall. Step back with one foot and keep it flat on the floor while moving the other leg forward. Lean towards the wall until you feel a stretch. Hold for 30 seconds and perform 10 repetitions for each foot
- Be sure not to overextend or push your limbs too hard or you could risk pulling or straining your muscle
Individuals who tend to their feet by regular stretching every day should be able to minimize foot pain and prevent new problems from arising.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our offices located in the Tampa Bay area. We offer the newest diagnostic tools and technology to treat your foot and ankle needs.